Librarian
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Library of Sosaria
Guild Abbreviation: LofS

Parting of the ways...

Post by Martyna Z'muir » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Let it be known that I will not be posting to the GL Stratics news page as I nolonger volunteer my time or creativity to a website whose grasp on reality is tenuous at best, and whose admins engage in censorship to suck up to EA/Mythic. I will, however, post events to the GL forum.

Here is a recent conversation with AirmidCecht the UO News Administrator for Stratics. These PMs are unedited, save the removal of signatures. Enjoy the hypocrisy :Brick Wall

----------------------
Reminder
11-21-2009, 05:46 AM

Hello Martyna,

This is a reminder that we ask for all volunteer staff to post respectively on the forums.

While not in direct violation, in reviewing your recent posts, they have an antagonistic flair that are disrespectful to the developers in almost every post.

Understanding your frustrations with perhaps game development, when someone volunteers their time we consider it a service to the community and it should reflect that when commenting. We are not trying to stifle anyone that has disagreements or issues, but make sure how you post while displaying staff tags is done in a constructive way.

Your news posts are done so well and we certainly appreciate what you do there but if it is asking too much we certainly understand if you feel you can be of more service posting without the added responsibility of a staff tag. I hope that isn't the case but please let me know.

Also, if you have any questions let me know.

Thank you,

AirmidCecht
UO Stratics News Administrator
----------------------
Re: Reminder
11-22-2009, 01:05 AM

If I haven't directly violated any of the RoC, then trying to stifle me is exactly what you are doing. Antagonism is not disrespect when it is worded without insult. I have already had this conversation with Petra, and I have backed off considerably. I do use sarcasm quite freely in my postings, as I believe that people are adult enough to grasp that. If you believe the staff tag imbues our posts with some sort of meaningful weight, then you are mistaken. I have not called names, been insulting, or said anything that isn't felt by an increasingly larger portion of the userbase. Nor am I that only 'staff person' to feel this way, and openly post about it.

Stratics is community yes, and communities have their dissenting voices. This consistent need for some of the mods to shield Mythic from reality is really doing them, and the community, a disservice. Mythic is a business we pay monthly for a service, not an emotionally insecure group of highschoolers. They can handle criticism, and should expect it when their product fails to meet reasonable expectations
----------------------
11-22-2009, 05:03 AM

Martyna,

It is not our place to decide what is or is not a disservice to the Mythic developers.

It is our place to expect that all staff that represents Stratics, do so with what we consider appropriate staff behavior. Yours in not. It is that simple and not up for argument. If you are unwilling to do so then we would prefer a staff tag not get in your way.

Thank you,
Airmid
----------------------
11-22-2009, 06:49 AM

That’s called censorship. Censorship which you are applying rather selectively… You expect me to compromise my views and opinions so Mythic doesn’t get its feathers ruffled, and that is wrong. If we wish to aspire to call ourselves reporters, then it is definitely our place to ‘decide what is or is not a disservice to the Mythic developers’ (and to the community). Being disingenuous in what we write to appease a group who should logically have _NO_ sway over a ‘media outlet’ completely removes any sense of integrity.

Have you bothered to read the posts of several of the board mods recently? (PASmounatindew, Kelmo, etc) Oh, wait, you let some break the RoC quite blithely. Either be consistent, or say nothing. You can’t have it both ways, unless favoritism remains the unwritten rule.

The overly malleable way you tend to interpret the already rather vague RoC only goes to illuminate the lengths to which you will go to quash the views of those who do not wave a pom-pom after every Dev utterance. If you expect every Stratics reporter/mod/et al. to fall in line lockstep with some rosy party line, you are out of your mind.

It is attitudes like yours which has caused the serious decline in Stratic's being viewed as a legitimate news source. Where once strikingly opposed views were argued fervently by both sides, staff included, you seem naught but to homogenize things to the point of being sickly treacle.

If Stratics, as a site, is going to have its lips superglued to Mythic's posterior and ignore the realities of the community around it then you can take your staff tag and shove it.
----------------------
11-23-2009, 06:03 PM

Martyna,

If anyone took a look at my own posting history, they would find both a fan and a consumer who speaks her mind, especially when the community of players are affected negatively in game. What you will also find is it done constructively, without malice for a few reasons:

If I am so disgusted with a product that I could not keep the venom out, why would I continue to invest in their product with an advertisement next to my name that says, great game I support it by reporting on shard activities? Not likely.

I strive to treat people with dignity and respect, it certainly gets a point across better than throwing rocks where people are too busy dodging the blows to hear your message.

But to each their own. I understand your lack of desire to take our suggestions into consideration and will advise the other administrators of your request to shove it with the staff tag.

Thank you,
Airmid
----------------------
11-24-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmidCecht
If I am so disgusted with a product that I could not keep the venom out, why would I continue to invest in their product with an advertisement next to my name that says, great game I support it by reporting on shard activities?

Being a reporter for Great Lakes never had anything to do with Mythic, EA, the Dev Team, or the game in general. It had everything to do with the community of people on the GL shard, its history, its culture, and its future. It is GL I support with my articles, not Mythic.

Neither having a Stratics shield next to my name, nor the ‘Great Lakes Shard Reporter’ under it have anything to do with that. Quite honestly, at this point they detract from it greatly as the administration has proven itself unworthy of guiding the community by engaging in selective censorship.

You have not offered ‘suggestions,’ in fact you have made demands. After starting with a passive “While not in direct violation,” then switching to a “do this or get out” tact, you have only proven that Stratics has no genuine interest in the community or its staff – but in mandating an unrealistic stranglehold on expression in an attempt to curry Mythic’s continued favor.

Stratics is a “fan” site. It is unfortunate that the remaining two administrators have taken the literal root of that word to heart. Enjoy your power trip.

No response, as of yet..
0 x

Return to “General GL Chat”