Stygian Abyss Beta Code Contest!

OOC GLOBAL FORUM: Ask questions and make suggestions for the site.
Lord DaKaren
Site Admin
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 2129
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Order of the Etheral Ankh
Guild Abbreviation: OEA

Stygian Abyss Beta Code Contest!

Post by Lord DaKaren » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:54 pm

The Ultima Online Roleplaying Community site would like to announce a Virtue Short Story Contest! Three talented winners will receive one (1) Stygian Abyss Beta Code!

Rules for the contest are simple:

1) Register on the Forums with a valid email address

2) Write a short story relating to the Virtues (Britannian, Gargoyle, or Anti-Virtue)

3) Email your story (from the email you used to register) to contests AT uorpc.net by Saturday, June 20th at 10pm CST (Please include your character name and shard at the top.)

Stories will be judged on creativity, originality, and how well the story reflects on the core of the Virtue (or Principle) chosen.

Entries will be judged by midnight on Sunday, June 21st. Three winners will be announced on this site on Monday, June 22nd at noon (CST). Each will receive one (1) Stygian Abyss Beta Code and their story will be featured on the main page of UORPC.NET. All entries will posted in the forums after the winners are announced.

Good luck!
0 x

-Lord DaKaren

High Chancellor of Virtue of the High Council of Britannia
Archmage of the Order of the Etheral Ankh

Administrator of UORPC.NET
do you have the character?

Lord DaKaren
Site Admin
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 2129
Character Alignment: Lawful Good
Guild Affiliation: Order of the Etheral Ankh
Guild Abbreviation: OEA

Re: Stygian Abyss Beta Code Contest!

Post by Lord DaKaren » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:05 pm

UORPC.NET would like to congratulate the winners of the Stygian Abyss Beta Code Contest! The three lucky winners are Rainfo of Pacific, Octavia of Sonoma, and Malag-aste of Great Lakes. They will each receive one code for the SA Beta test, and the enviable opportunity to help make the next UO expansion the best that it can be.
----------------------------------------------
Arise, Gargoyles
by Rainfo of Pacific

Manuscript Illuminating upon Gargoyle arising, their Virtues and Principles;
-------------------------------------------------------------

A Gargoyle's beliefs in their virtues and principles are the driving mantra of their daily lives, the essence of their mystical spirituality. At least this seems to be the case. Gargoyle's have the appearance of being divine creatures, yet somehow... primal... focused... It must be their virtues...

Whilst adventuring, when a man stumbles upon a Gargoyle, it's like a demon of the underworld, a 10-feet tall, sinewy, awe-inspiring and indeed terror-inspiring as well, with a wingspan to rival even Dragons.

When man witnesses a Gargoyle they appear to be swimming throughout the world like creatures who follow only the one-ness of their own hearts, their Passions, bridled with Control... And always, always going about their life with Diligence.

If someone were to stumble upon such a Gargoyle he'd notice a certain characteristic -- that besides bearing a resemblance akin to overgrown Mongbats mixed with the most ferocious of Demons, Gargoyles have a definite one-ness about them... As if they always know where they're going.

The attunement to their principles brings them great strength:

A Gargoyle adheres, devoutly, to Control, Passion, and Diligence. Above all of the Virtues, these are the three Principles of Gargoyles.

Control - the Gargoyle's nature of seeking the upper hand....
Passion - their emotional fire, It takes them where they go, It keeps them alive... Wanting more...
Diligence - Gargoyle's never give up.

'Tis true. Their Direction is relentless, like the swiftest of arrows, from which there is no possibility of return. Yet they are not only fierce warriors. They have their own spell-casting art, that of Mysticism... An ancient body of magic.
Order arises from Chaos, and when Order is lost, Chaos returns as Gargoyle Berserk.
And again, their virtues drive them: With Feeling they awake with livelyness; During the night, they rule with Persistence; Balance, through thick and thin, because what goes up must come down.

They strive for Achievement... Winning their battles... Attacking with their Bladeweaving with only the swiftest Precision, yes, Precision... They wield the cutting edge of only the most elite powers ever...

And yet, Order and Singularity together, because Order indicates Absence of Control, and Singularity indicates Control over One-self, contradicting one another, yet simultaneously, coexisting as Virtues...

Indeed, they are beings of great principles. Alas, these are not Stone Gargoyles of that man would see stooped upon the ramparts of a castle; Watchful Guardians they may be, the living Breathing Race of Gargoyles is another beast entirely... Soon with the Stygian Abyss.... You will know...

The Gargoyles are gathering... Singularity amassing into Order... The One into Many... Arising... They are coming!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the dark of night, Rokuno the Gargoyle sips a bitter ale and flexes his wings, contemplating on the routines he will go about in his night... Meditating upon himself, he prepares to go out on a hunt. In the dark of the night, his blades sharpened, the Gargoyle virtues bring him great strength, and his soul at peace; then, he unleashes his fury upon the world, and calls his brethren.

"Arise, Gargoyles!"
Humility
by Octavia of Sonoma

Tis I Octavia simple Shepherd herding the lands of Sonoma day in and day out. Shepherding to me is a lot of thankless work, being responsible for such a large herd, getting them around to different food and water sources to keep my herd strong, and protecting them from the fouler things in this land. Tis a job where I don't recieve the Bard's songs of praise for my victories or orders from the Faction Leaders for there next conquest, but a simple person like me needs not those things to know that I am making a difference in this world. A Shepherd does there job because they know if no one else does it that the animals will suffer, and in the end the harmony of the world and the creatures in it determines the success of the fighters, mages, and business men of the land. I do my job for the world I live in because it needs to be done, pure and simple, I never expect to recieve anything for my time, I give because I can.
Valor
by Malag-aste of Great Lakes

What follows is the true meaning of Valor. Casca tell us that the Law of Valor - is that Citizens must accept any challenge. What is he thinking? Any challenge? I say no. Not every challenge. The only challenge we face now is how to remove this false king. The True meaning of Valor is based on the principles of Courage, Love and Truth. And Truth will show that Casca is not fit to rule. So first off what is the real meaning of Valor as taught by Lord British?

Lord British taught that us that, Valor is derived from Courage. It symbolized by the sword and the color red. Its opposing anti-virtue is to be Dastardly and the opposing dungeon is Destard. The anti-class is the Dragon. Its original class is the fighter. Jhelom is the City of Valor. Which seems to make sense as Jhelom is where many train to fight in the pits. Though merely training in skills of battle do not give one Valor. Anyone may be skilled in battle even those who are dastardly. Speaking the Mantra of Ra activates the power of this shrine. Geoffrey is the companion of Valor. Valor is the courage to take action in support of one's convictions. The tale of Geoffrey's courage is mighty indeed, to face a dragon with naught but his skin and a tiny blade. Such courage indeed Valor is something that indeed I hope to have.

In these coming times of darkness when we are invaded by the likes of the Six, the Vanguad, and the very throne is held by someone who has twisted the laws of Virtue into something evil and indeed almost dastardly, we need Valor. We need people who are willing to stand up against this false self declared King and show true courage. For it will take true courage to overcome such odds. Courage to stand up and do what is right for Britannia and for Lord British and all the convictions that his Kingdom was built upon. I wonder how many have such courage. Courage to oppose the false lord, courage to stand up for Lord British and the True Virtues that he taught us, not the false ones presented by Casca. I know that I as a Knight of Virtue and a member of the High Council of Britannia hope to have such Courage. I pray I am not alone.

Perhaps this book of Valor and its true meaning will spark others to stand up and show courage against the atrocities that Casca has brought to the city of Britain and the Kingdom of Lord British. Perhaps others will find they have Valor and join us in denouncing this false Lord Casca and help to restore the true virtues to the lands. Who better to rise up against this lunacy than the very Citizens who are loyal to Britain? Who will join the ranks of true virtue? Are there others who have the courage to speak out? We can only hope.
0 x
-Lord DaKaren

High Chancellor of Virtue of the High Council of Britannia
Archmage of the Order of the Etheral Ankh

Administrator of UORPC.NET
do you have the character?

Return to “UORPC.NET”