Log of the Chancellor Debate on 2/17/14

Communications with the High Council of Britannia.
Vivian Fellows
Citizen
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

Log of the Chancellor Debate on 2/17/14

Post by Vivian Fellows » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Vivian Fellows: *looks at timepiece*
Vivian Fellows: Very well, the time has arrived
Vivian Fellows: Will the two candidates take their places at the podiums
Dot Warner: .
Tanda: *holds up a card with a 10 on it*
John: *chuckling softly*
Vivian Fellows: Good evening Chancellor DaKaren
Vivian Fellows: and Justicar Fl'Gith... I know proper decorum since you are retired would be to refer to your...
Vivian Fellows: ...highest title of Chancellor, but to avoid confusion we will go with Justicar tonight if that is ok
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: *smiles*
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: That would be perfect, m'lord, an' good eve t' ye as well.
Vivian Fellows: *looks at the Chancellor*
Vivian Fellows: First I will go over the rules
Vivian Fellows: Each will be allowed both a three minute opening and three minute closing
Malag aste: Seem to be missing a candidate.
Vivian Fellows: with the first being of course being an introduction of yourself to the electorate
Vivian Fellows: the closing three minutes will be where you see the Council going if you were elected Chancellor
Vivian Fellows: Between that, we will have a couple of topics
Vivian Fellows: I have flipped a coin to determine who will get first answer
Vivian Fellows: they will have 2 minutes
Vivian Fellows: then the other candidate will have 2 minutes to respond
Vivian Fellows: with then a 1 minute rebuttal for the first candidate
Vivian Fellows: Being you are the incumbent, I will allow you to go first Chancellor Dakaren with your opening...
Vivian Fellows: ...statement
DaKaren: *nods*
DaKaren: Greetings friends, as most of you know, I am DaKaren, late of Britain.
DaKaren: I have been on the High Council of Britannia since the year 415, as Minister of Virtue, and as
DaKaren: Chancellor since 425.
DaKaren: The last several decades have largely been fraught with great darkness and uncertainty, but under my leadership the High Council has remained a steady beacon of hope for the people of Britannia.
DaKaren: We have stood firm against the tyranny of those who would oppress us or try to end our way of life.
DaKaren: I have been honored to see our peoples triumph over these foes, regardless of the perils they faced.
DaKaren: I have been equally honored to grow the Council and ensure that it adapts in tandem with the kingdoms changing paradigms.
DaKaren: It is my intention to continue along a similar path in the future..
Vivian Fellows: Thank you Chancellor
Vivian Fellows: *looks to Ra'Dian*
Vivian Fellows: Chief Justicar, your opening statement
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thank ye, m'lord Fellows, Chancellor, 'onored guests...
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: It 'as been many years since I served upon this Council as a Councilor for Magincia,
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: an' then later followed in th' role o' Chancellor, Justicar, Chief Justicar...
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Many 'ats o'er th' years.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Along th' way, I 'ave seen Britannia evolve an' grow through many leaders,
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: rough times o' darkness, times o' glory an' 'ope...
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: It 'as always been an 'onor t' serve th' peoples o' Britannia, an' I 'ope t' do so once more.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: It is my belief that in this time o' recent change, new perspective is needed fer
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: th' future, an' though I am old 'at t' these chambers, time away from serving as
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Chancellor 'as given me time t' step away, t' review, reflect, an' see things more clearly.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: I do 'ope t' be given such a chance, an' thank ye fer this opportunity t' debate this eve.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: *nods his head*
Vivian Fellows: Thank you Chief Justicar
Vivian Fellows: Thank you both for those opening statements
Vivian Fellows: Before we started I flipped a coin to see who would be the first to answer
Vivian Fellows: The Chief Justicar won that flip and will be able to answer the first topic question
Vivian Fellows: first
Vivian Fellows: The topic is domestic troubles
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: *nods*
Vivian Fellows: As any that have read the news, knows over the past few years there has been repeated trouble
Vivian Fellows: between several of the cities
Vivian Fellows: notably Skara Brae and Jhelom which are once again in the headlines
Vivian Fellows: My question...
Vivian Fellows: What are you going to do to resolve the deteriorating conditions between the two cities and cease
Vivian Fellows: the hostilities?
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: An excellent question, m'lord.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Times o' trouble between allies, whether cities, guilds, organizations... they oft try our resolve,
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: an' can be th' most difficult matters we face as servants.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Simply put, I would do e'erything in m' power t' bring these two great cities t' th' table t' work
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: their issues out, t' find compromise between them, an' t' find ways that they could work together
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: nae only fer their own greater good, but fer th' greater good o' th' kingdom as well.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: It is necessary that both sides understand that we are present t' facilitate discussion, an'
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: t' ensure that e'eryone is represented fairly.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: I am certain th' issues run deep, an' so rootin' out those issues would be a monumental task,
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: but certainly one worthy o' tacklin'.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thank ye fer th' opportunity t' answer.
Vivian Fellows: *nods*
Vivian Fellows: Chancellor, your response to the question?
DaKaren: The troubles between Skara Brae and Jhelom stretch back to the failed domestic policies of the Assembly of Lords and Guilds.
DaKaren: The Current governors of these cities have been repeatedly offered mediation of their disputes, but neither have come to the table.
DaKaren: While I would like to force the issue to peaceful resolve, it isn't within the power of the High Council to do so.. at least not in so many words.
DaKaren: I would keep the avenues of communication open between the cities and strongly encourage them to partake of the offers presented for peace.
Vivian Fellows: Chief Justicar? One minute to further
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: I definitely appreciate th' difficulty in gettin' conflictin' sides t' sit at a table an' 'ammer out
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: their differences, but as th' citizens o' Minoc were once shown, if differin' sides are unwillin' t'
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: come t' th' table, ye can always bring th' table t' them, an' initiate a dialogue on yer own.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: It is within th' powers o' th' Council t' work t' ensure th' safety an' fair treatment o' all
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Britannian citizens an' cities.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thank ye.
Vivian Fellows: Thank you
Vivian Fellows: The second question ties partly to the first one
Vivian Fellows: One of the top stories coming out of the King's Council meeting
Vivian Fellows: was the King's focus on foreign affairs at the expense of domestic issues
Vivian Fellows: even declining to visit the wounded from the Skara Brae explosion with the other governors
Vivian Fellows: My question to you Chancellor...
Vivian Fellows: The High Council main statement is to serve the people of the Kingdom of Britannia
Vivian Fellows: it does not say serve the crown
Vivian Fellows: this is certainly a touchy issue
Malag aste: *yawns trying hard to stay awake*
Dot Warner: *pokes Malag*
Vivian Fellows: so to basically say, my question is how do you see Council working with Blackthorn
Vivian Fellows: to bring focus to domestic issues?
DaKaren: The Council is indeed of the people.
Malag aste: *looks to dot with bloodshot eyes smiles*
DaKaren: I am troubled by His Majesty's aloof attitude to the cares of his subjects.
DaKaren: However, our issues with that must be set aside for the good of the people.
DaKaren: If he will not bring himself to ensure their well-being, the Council will continue to work with the Ruling Council to do so.
DaKaren: He can stay above them should he wish
Vivian Fellows: *looks to Ra'Dian*
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thank ye, m'lord, Chancellor...
Vivian Fellows: Chief Justicar, your thoughts?
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Kings are often a fickle people, wi' troubles that many o' us find difficult t' understand.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: E'en Lord British would look beyond th' smaller scope int' larger pictures that made
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: sometimes little sense t' us as people.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thus, th' role o' this Council, th' Governors... is exactly t' fill th' void that is left between
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: th' King an' 'is people.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: In continuin' t' do our service well, an' t' bring issues b'fore th' King, we keep 'im informed,
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: an' thus ensure that things dinnae escape 'is attention.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: We are certainly empowered t' act for th' good o' th' realm, an' as long as we 'ave
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: th' support o' th' people, doin' so will always be our main priority.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: We may ne'er know what troubles a king, but we can ensure that 'is people remain safe.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: *nods to Vivian*
Vivian Fellows: Chancellor, one minute
DaKaren: We can indeed fill the gap, and we shall continue to do so.
Vivian Fellows: Keeping with the trend, the next topic will in sort tie to the last one
Vivian Fellows: The last question dealt with Blackthorn and domestic affairs
Vivian Fellows: This question, to you, Chief Justicar
Vivian Fellows: What is your stance on the recent scandal between the Council and Ter Mur...
Vivian Fellows: where the Chancellor's minister made disrespectful remarks towards the gargoyle race?
[Com Crystal] Rodrik Von Karl says: fools
Vivian Fellows: Do you feel such behavior is warranted in the Council or the Chancellor's cabinet?
Malag aste: *glares looking about*
Vivian Fellows: *looks up*
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: *frowns slightly*
Vivian Fellows: Who was that?
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thank ye fer th' question, m'lord...
Vivian Fellows: Please, maintain decorum in the audience
Vivian Fellows: Sorry Chief Justicar, I have reset your time
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Matters o' foreigh diplomacy are typically sketchy at th' best o' times... differin' protocols, customs
Vivian Fellows: audience disturbance
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: an'' all th' finer intricacies necessary t' maintain strong diplomatic ties fer th' greater good
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: all require great finesse, an' a great amount o' 'umility.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Sadly, I must say that I wouldnae look well upon any member o' th' Council, cabinet or otherwise,
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: who was in such a position an' failed t' meet those duties wi' th' required decorum.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: It is imperative that personal matters dinnae 'old sway in diplmoatic arenas.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thus, I would 'ave t' say there would be nae place either on a cabinet nor in th' Council fer such,
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: an' I would work t' correct th' issues swiftly, though with diplomacy before lookin' t' eliminate
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: th' service o' long-servin' brethren.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: *nods to Vivian*
Vivian Fellows: *looks over*
Vivian Fellows: Chancellor?
DaKaren: *sighs* This is little more than a tempest in a teapot. Minister Hla-ate's comment, while unfortunate it its content, was not intended to disparage or denigrate the gargish race.
Malag aste: *looks at the light*
DaKaren: Contextually, the Minister spoke regarding an armed gargoyle who would not heed a direct order to disarm and who then threatened this body in regards to an unknown person.
DaKaren: The Minister has since apologized for any ill-will that may have been generated and I consider the matter closed.
Vivian Fellows: Chief Justicar, one minute
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: In such a case where any wrong could be corrected, th' matter would need nae go further.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: On th' other 'and, it is important that all o' us as servants remember that we serve nae only
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: this Kingdom but th' Virtues as well, an' so sometimes it is necessary t' remind ourselves
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: o' th' appropriate paths t' take, e'en in th' most difficult o' times an' matters.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thank ye, m'lord.
Vivian Fellows: Now to the final question before closing statements
Vivian Fellows: The question to you Chancellor...
Vivian Fellows: Debate has raged over the decades under your stewardship over the power of the Chancellor
Vivian Fellows: While Justicar von Bayer has stated the intent with the latest version was to give
Vivian Fellows: power back to the people
Vivian Fellows: Do you agree with that stance? Or would you consider the Chancellor should have more power...
Vivian Fellows: and if so... why do you think as such?
DaKaren: That is an interesting question.
DaKaren: The powers given to the Chancellor under the Sixth are, for the most part, emergency executive powers which can be directly checked by the Council itself.
DaKaren: I believe that what is in the Sixth is sufficient to ensure the smooth operation of the Council's stewardship between active sessions.
Vivian Fellows: Chief Justicar, two minutes
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Power is always an interestin' question... too little, too much, checks an' balances...
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: What level is proper, an' so forth...
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Th' Sixth Constitution does address a great many things, an' regardless o' any interpretation,
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: th' Council an' Courts an' Military can work t' correct anythin' that arises, so I amnae terribly
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: worried about th' document itself... m' issue wi' perception o' th' Chancellor's powers 'as always bee
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: been from th' perspective o' experience, nae paper.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: When people believe a power exists, whether it does or nae, they treat it as existin',
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: an' so perception is quite powerful, regardless o' paper.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thus, while servin' as Chancellor m'self, I worked 'ard t' limit m' own power an' t' keep it in
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: th' 'ands o' those who could more properly wield it, because as th' figure'ead o' this Council,
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: many times powers I didnae possess were ascribed t' me anyway.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thus, I think regardless o' th' paper, it is always in execution that th' details must be
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: more closely scrutinized, an' that can only be judged by 'ow well any o' us serve.
Malag aste: *glares*
Vivian Fellows: Chancellor, one minute
DaKaren: Perception is indeed powerful, but we cannot let ourselves get caught up in what ifs. We must educate where appropriate so that the people fully understand the reality of their leadership.
DaKaren: Recent events have proven that executive poweres have indeed been needed,
Vivian Fellows: That concludes the question
Vivian Fellows: each will have a final three minute closing statement to tell the constituents where they see...
Vivian Fellows: ...the Council going under their leadership
Vivian Fellows: Since you got the opening word Chancellor, I am going to give the Chief Justicar the final word to
Vivian Fellows: ...close
Vivian Fellows: so Chancellor... you will go first with your three minutes
Vivian Fellows: *starts timepiece*
Vivian Fellows: *coughs*
DaKaren: If re-elected, I intend to continue to steer the Council on a democratically progressive course and meet future challenges head-on.
DaKaren: Whether these challenges are from within our own chambers, brought upon us by social outcasts such as Rodrik, or more existential threats to our Virtue.
DaKaren: We have an exemplary group of individuals on the Council and I am confident that if they steadfastly apply the Virtues in their governance they will continue to excel.
DaKaren: Thank you for your support.
Vivian Fellows: *turns to Ra'Dian*
Vivian Fellows: Chief Justicar
Vivian Fellows: the final word to you
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thank ye, m'lord Fellows, Chancellor, 'onored guests fer yer time this eve.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: I agree with th' Lord Chancellor that there is an exceptional group o' people 'ere that work t'
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: better th' e'eryday lives o' th' citizens o' this great Kingdom.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Th' only difference I see in 'ow I would lead this Council directly is th' more 'ands-on approach
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: that I think contrasts th' Chancellor's present governance. I think 'e 'as served remarkably well
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: an' should be commended, but I think that as Britannia 'as evolved, so too is it time fer th'
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: leadership in this chamber t' do so once more.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: I would see th' Council return t' more direct involvement in matters, in a positive, energetic way.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thank ye very much fer yer support this eve, an' thank ye m'lord Fellows for a well-run debate.
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: *nods his head in respect*
Vivian Fellows: and once again thanks to both of you for the debate
Vivian Fellows: I encourage everyone to remember to vote
Vivian Fellows: Starting Feb 23 at 8 PM CST
Vivian Fellows: While this debate has finished, nominations are still being accepted for last minute entrants
Vivian Fellows: Can we get a round of applause for our two aspiring candidates?
Tanda: *claps*
Martyna Z'muir: *claps*
Tanieren: *claps slightly*
Dot Warner: *claps*
Matthias O'Hare: *claps*
Vivian Fellows: Thank you both
Malag aste: *claps*
Ra'Dian Fl'Gith: Thank ye.
0 x

Return to “High Council Open Forum”