An Intrinsic Base

Tales and stories of little known happenings. (Please use the OOC sub-board called 'Roleplay Springboard' to discuss the stories posted here)

Moderators: MalagAste, Tanda Knighthawke

Old Blue Eyes
Noob
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

An Intrinsic Base

Post by Old Blue Eyes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:37 pm

Cedric crossed his arms impatiently.

Reeder did what he did best. Work overtime at pretending to be sober whilst his climber talked to other people outside of his mental league. Not to say that Reeder was a dullard. Far from it. Reeder just opted to take that road of indifference. He was one of those fellows who just assumed people viewed him a certain way. Sure, he could ramble off with those slightly more learned than him. And he could hold a hell of a court doing so…

Reeder took another swig and made the universal “be right there” gesture. The wind was cold, and this ascent was not going to be an easy one. Cedric knew full well that Reeder had a “problem” so to speak. He was convinced that he felt the part of a passive enabler by reminding the slight fellow that his knots were always taught…his sense of the wind was always clear. Cedric took a minor solace in the fact that these things were true. Reeder knew his trade, and Cedric had no reservation trusting his weight…his life….on one of that drunkards knots.

“That’s a lock. Remember boss, you favor your right arm over your left, so dig in well.”

Cedric tried so hard to cast a condescending glance, but he was far to decent a man to do so. He took the high road. “So where’d you get this rope that’s supposed to support me across those expanses up there?” Cedric and Reeder peered upwards, the maelstrom of snow showing no signs of letting up. Clearing his throat, Reeder pointed to an alcove hundreds of feet in the air.

“I’d make for that point, Ced. I’m thinking you can climb that in about three hours. But then again, you’re getting pretty fat in the ass, so I’d recommend this one.”

The tent Reeder pointed too was neither flattering nor inviting.

“I’ll take my chances with the ice and your knots, fellow,” chucked Cedric as he slapped Reeder on his shoulder. The suffix “Ow!” followed shortly after, but it was paid no mind. “Reeder, for me…can you par some of those spirits off when I begin my descent?” The last few drops fell from the first of many of Reeder’s flasks. “I could certainly promise that …but you know better to ask.” Cedric offered a frown. Reeder cracked his knuckles in return.

“So we are clear, you are concerned that after you have climbed a sheer, ice-laden mountainside in high wind for the next three weeks…one that no sane man would attempt, you might take a dip on a knot mis-tied, a hook less-sharpened, by someone who…despite an occasional drink, has never let you down before?”

Cedric raised his hand in what her already knew what a futile protest.

“Go climb, dumbass.”
0 x

Return to “Bard's Corner”