Answering the Darkness

Tales and stories of little known happenings. (Please use the OOC sub-board called 'Roleplay Springboard' to discuss the stories posted here)

Moderators: MalagAste, Tanda Knighthawke

Ra'Dian Fl'Gith
Citizen
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 0

Answering the Darkness

Post by Ra'Dian Fl'Gith » Sat May 29, 2010 5:50 pm

"I've already heard it all, Justicar," Menion spoke as he looked across the elf's deep brown stone desk. "I explained all of this to the Grand Marshal as well."

"Then why in th' names o' th' gods did ye release 'im? I've already recused m'self from th' case surroundin' 'im, but if this is th' way yer goin' t' run th' bench in m' absence, I may reconsider next time." While the High Justicar's tone was even, and his face calm, Menion could still see the burning anger in his eyes.

"So you would have had me start an international incident just to keep your accused attacker in the cell?"

Ra'Dian slammed his fists on his desk, using them to propel himself to his feet in one swift motion, and then he leaned across the desk. "What bloody international incident would that be? A bloody vampire slinks int' Umbra, declares 'imself Lord, an' we're s'pposed t' give a damn? Why dinnae I just go an' declare m'self th' Lord o' Ocllo, or th' Prince o' Buc's Den, or 'ell, just swim on back t' Nujel'm an' start th' Fourth Empire o' th' Third Comin' o' Armageddon?" He took just a moment to breath, then let out a harsh cough. "International incident indeed! That bloodsucker's 'idin' be'ind diplomatic immunities t' wage this little... wha'e'er it is... an' yer playin' int' 'is bloody 'and!"

Shaking his head, just a little, and looking up at the marble ceiling, Menion let out a long sigh. "I didn't write the rules of this Court, Justicar. From Justicar Edguardo, through the Triumvir, and now in your days, those rules have been set before me. I can either wait until they apprehend him appropriately and I don't have to let him off on some inane technicality, or I could have proceeded and then let him off, voiding all of your warrants..."

"Or ye could hae tried 'im, an' ignored th' technicalities, an' taken th' 'ead off o' th' snake that currently bites Britannia!"

Menion took another deep breath. "I understand, Justicar, that you are angry that you were attacked, but I know you better than that. You value Virtue above all else, and throwing aside the law simply to meet our own ends is Cascan, not Virtuous."

Ra'Dian's eyes met his, and there was a sudden change in their fire. A small smile began to form, the right side of his mouth curling upward, as he looked away, and slowly, he lowered himself back into the seat behind his desk. "There be definite wisdom in recusin' one's self from th' bench when one be personally involved." He looked directly back at Menion. "There's just somethin' deeper goin' on 'ere... an' I fear if we dinnae get t' th' bottom o' it quick, we may find ourselves in th' middle o' somethin' much more dangerous than a small group o' vampires callin' th' necromantic city their own."

"I agree, Justicar. But if I don't play by the books on this, who will?"

The elf let out a small chuckle. "True."

"Of course, the next Council meeting should prove interesting. I promised the Marshal I would be present to answer for my actions." Menion twitched his left eyebrow, and added, "I suppose you'll be there too..."

"Aye," Ra'Dian smiled, nodding his head in agreement. "I'll be there... an' I'll be askin' th' Council t' escalate this t' th' next level. There willnae be diplomatic issues t' consider when next 'e is in our care."

Menion looked to the side, and then to the deep blue carpet beneath the Justicar's death. He had seen it coming even when he spoke to the Umbran Lord. There was only one course of action for the Council to take in this matter. Only one. No country could ever assault another country's leadership without it coming to that.

"I only hope, for the Council's sake and for yours," Menion said, looking back at the elven High Justicar of Virtue, "that war is not exactly what he's looking for."
0 x

Planets come and go. Stars perish. Matter disperses, coalesces, forms into other patterns, other worlds. Nothing can be eternal.

Return to “Bard's Corner”