Getting to know your City and Governor

Minoc is the city of Sacrifice located at the foot of the Crescent Mountains in the north of the main continent.

Moderator: Tanda Knighthawke

Tanda Knighthawke
City Governor
UO Shard: Great Lakes
Character Age: 153
Guild Affiliation: TGD/ The Grateful Dead

Getting to know your City and Governor

Post by Tanda Knighthawke » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Blessed be and well met,

I have served as Governor of Minoc now for three terms approximately twelve years*. In my time as Governor I have tried to manage the needs of the citizens of the region using their guidance and requests. It seemed perhaps a little more knowledge maybe useful, so sit back with a bottle of ale and enjoy the tale.

Minoc has long been a proud city of working class folks, miners, tinkers and artisans crafting many of the goods we use in our every day lives. It is nestled in the colder northern region of Britannia and sits on Lost Hope Bay. Long long ago before even my time, this city of Sacrifice was a beacon of hope to all those weary souls who had lost hope and their way. Many races band together for the benefit of all.

There were many dark times along the way. One being the dungeon we know as Wrong which is near our fair city. It had been a place where many suffered at the hand of power hungry and corrupt men for their beliefs as well as other things. It is quite appropriate the dungeon sits as a reminder of the evil man can inflict upon man.

Along the way Knights of the Emerald Tartan and the Thane (Bruce) as well as the Crescent Mountain Clan rallied many citizens into a tightly knit community. The Knights of the Emerald Tartan commissioned the Highland Guard. The Highland Guard defended the Thane's law and Minoc from all who sought to do her people ill. I believe part of the Thane's law was in response to the Mages and others with in Wrong. The Highland Guard was a military group, skilled and well trained they proudly wore the Highland Green and Navy Tartan and served the city. Many no doubt still have memories of General Jakob Covenant and the ranks who followed him. It was during this period of Minoc's history I became old enough to take notice.

The High Council of Britannia came to be, in the early days a group of citizens from the crown cities who believed a council representing the needs of each city would help to insure the people didn't get forgotten and over run by ruler/s of Britannia. Minoc held a seat upon this council and spoke to the needs and beliefs by which it's own local government tended to its citizens.

Minoc had laws then against the use of magic or spell craft and those who used them. There were laws giving rule of the City to only Noblemen and women. Commoners were not allowed to hunt in the forest belonging to the Thane. Penalties were harsh. Yet the people thrived and honored these brave men and women for their service. Over time the last of the Nobles in the land had left the realm or perished. The Highland Guard was decommissioned by General Covenant. A few of the loyal guardsman tried to restore order, bring about a Minoc which could be strong and independent. Gradually almost all who held allegiance to Minoc disappeared.

During my life I have served upon this High Council in many positions, fought for the rights of the poorest most humble of the realm. I petitioned the Courts to give the citizens of Minoc the right to govern themselves without the requirement of a noble birth, a right which now our citizens can enjoy.

It is with this in mind, that I have left my current calling of Chief Justicar to better serve as Governor and Councilor for Minoc. I am by historical record NOT what those who went before would have chosen to govern Minoc. A simple daughter of an artisan woodworker and a shepherdess healer. I was trained in the healing arts by use of magic and alchemy, I am an accomplished scribe of humble birth. I am a politician and tavern owner. I am blessed to have a husband who has stepped up to serve when my own health failed me so the needs of the people can still be met.

Together I believe we can make Minoc once again that beacon on the shores of Lost Hope Bay. My castle (a gift from Maera Graycloak keeper of the Thane's home) sits in the Crescent mountains at the headwaters of the River Kendall. Look for the lit beacon. (Lighthouse)
0 x

Return to “Minoc, City of Sacrifice”